Monday, November 10, 2008

Making struts for the rear fender



Been trying so many different ideas in my head to figure out an appropriate setup for some cool fender struts. I had thought about welding some side panels onto the fender but realized it might warp a bit too much with the thin steel. Also I don't have an english wheel or an over abundance of sheet metal tools so I was forced to find a simpler solution.

What I came up with are a pair of struts made of mild steel. I bent a piece of steel rod around the rear tire and got a good radius to match the wheel. I then cut the rod to the length needed in the band saw and welded on some round stock I also cut off to make tabs from. They should work out great once drilled and tapped. The look is minimal and should be a great addition to the overall look of the build.